Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pictures of the finished Pickle Dish Quilt

 We went for a little Sunday trip today and took the Pickle Dish with us.
It was beautiful, warm weather. Perfect for some outdoor pictures.
 So here it is, the finished quilt. It is approx. 72" square.
The pattern is from Kaffe Fassett's book "Quilt Romance", but I made a few changes. 
Instead of paper piecing the wedges, I cutted the pieces with a 9° Ruler.
And I made a different border, just like Janet Quiltsalott did with her Licorice Allsorts.
 We went to a beautiful old town near us and found a little park with colorful, late-summer flowers.


 The whole quilt is hand quilted with variegated Valdani perle cotton.
 Just like Susan of PatchworknPlay suggested, I quilted four petals in the background areas. 
The border is quilted with a double cable pattern.
The needle glided so easily through the soft Kaffe Fassett fabrics, it was a joy to hand quilt. I really love the quality of the KFC fabrics. The quilt already feels so cuddly and soft as if  it had been washed and used for some time.
 For the backing, I made a patchwork of 20 different pink fat quarters from my stash.
The striped binding fabric came from my stash, too.
So all I bought especially for this quilt was the batting and the quilting thread.
(okay, and the background fabric, but that was 3 or 4 years ago...)
 At first I planned to gift this quilt to my mother for her birthday next March.
But now that I finished it much faster than I thought, maybe I will give it to my parents as a 50th wedding anniversary gift in December. 
I think it needs another name. Any suggestions? I am not very good with names...
Thank you to my dear husband Michael who helped with the hanging and holding of the quilt.

13 comments:

Martha said...

It's a gorgeous quilt, Steffi, and the photos are amazing! I love you color choices, and the big stitch quilting is perfect for this pattern. Congrats on another great finish!

Teacosy said...

I agree with Martha, just amazing and the colors are so beautiful.
Gruß Sylvia

Grit said...

Der Quilt ist traumhaft schön. Und tolle Fotos hast du gemacht.
LG Grit

Patchwork and Play said...

Just gorgeous Steffi! I love everything about this- the fabric choices, front and back and the beautiful hand quilting. It would make a wonderful anniversary gift! What about "A Rosy Romance" or "Blooming Love"?

Manuela said...

Hallo Steffi,

der Quilt ist traumhaft schön.
Und wunderbar in Szene gesetzt.
Ein sehr schönes Geschenk zur Goldenen Hochzeit.

Liebe Grüße
Manuela

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

A stunning finish and some great photos - beautiful old building in the background! I like that you added your own unique touches to the original pattern.

JanineMarie said...

I love everything about this quilt, and the photography and settings for the photos are amazing. Congrats on a fabulous finish!

Sharon said...

This is wonderful! What an accomplishment, that is a lot of piecing and hand quilting. It will be a special gift.

Elaine said...

Congratulations on a stunning finish! love the hand quilting especially and the pieced backing :)

Maartje Quilt said...

Such a beautiful pictures of a gorgeous quilt! I love it.
Love from Amsterdam

Nilya said...

WAs für ein wunderschöner Quilt in toller Umgebung!

Alycia said...

It i beautiful! The quilting is amazing!

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

Lovely, lovely quilt. The colour palette is so cheerful. I'd love to make a pickle dish (it's on my someday list), but all those curves scare me a little! :)