Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Make your own Templates for Hand Quilting

I thought I would share with you how I make my own hand quilting templates.
I never bought a template from a store. 
First, because I don't have a quilt shop near me, 
second, because the readily available templates are seldom in the right size and pattern, 
and third, because I rather spend my money on fabric.

For this example, I wanted a border template for the Pickle Dish quilt.
The border is 6" wide and I figured out that one repeat of the pattern should be 10".

 So I drew a rectangle 6" x 10" onto a sheet of normal printer paper.
I decided on a double cable pattern and drew the horizontal and vertical middle lines and a few other reference lines, before I drew one repeat of the pattern with a pencil.
 When I was satisfied with the drawing, I took a felt pen and repainted the lines.
Then I cutted the template roughly to size.
 Now I took some self-adhesive transparent film (the kind of stuff you use to wrap around books) and stuck two layers onto each side of my template to make it more sturdy.
 And then I cutted the lines with a pair of small, sharp scissors. 
Don't forget to leave some little connecting links, so that the middle parts of the template cannot fall out.
 Now the template is ready for use! I normally just use a soft, sharp pencil, unless the fabrics are not too dark.
Over the years my collection of self made templates grew, but a lot of them are tucked away somewhere.

 And here is my already quilted border. Again I used the variegated Valdani perle cotton.
For the corner I used two different plates to draw the quarter circles.

10 comments:

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

This is total genius!!! I am planning on hand quilting a quilt for my daughter and couldn't even find a template I like. Now I know I can draw and make my own. So brilliant! Thanks for sharing!

TakeMeThereTotes said...

Love your Pickle Dish Quilt. Very clever making your own templates!

Christine Feldstein said...

Your explanations are very useful, thanks. The quilt is so beautiful!

Patchwork and Play said...

I agree with Lucy! This is pure genius! I need to do this for my current hand quilting project! Your quilt is looking fabulous too!

Joyce Carter said...

I love how you made your templates, Steffi. Very genius indeed. I have been making my own, but I made them out of paper so by the time I get to the end they are worn out. I am definitely going to use your method. Your quilt is beautiful-- as always.Everything you make always looks so fantastic.

Julie Alexander Johnson said...

I love your templates & your work. Thank you for generously sharing with us!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

This is a great way to make customised quilting templates - thank you.

Teacosy said...

Danke für die Anleitung, man kann das doch bestimmt auch gut laminieren. Welches Garn nimmst du fürs quilten?
Gruß Sylvia

Steph Blair said...

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing

Audrey Mackay said...

One of the innovations that has become a necessity is quilting templates.