Wednesday, August 6, 2014

WIP: a new Mini Quilt

 A friend of mine who also has dolls and model horses, asked me if I would make her a miniature Rainbow Star quilt. 
I thought it would be best to work with an interfacing. 
You know, the technique where you iron your fabric pieces to the interfacing, then sew in one direction, cut the seams open, and sew the other direction.
This way, you can get pretty good results with small pieces.
So I prepared the interfacing pieces with an 1" grid,
and cutted a lot of 1" squares in a rainbow of colors.
 Arranging the squares, and pressing them down to the interfacing.
(ignore the checked background, that was only for pressing.
 I forgot to take pictures of the next stages, but now the little top (around 9" square) is finished.
My friend wanted a black background, so I chose the back sketch fabric.
 Come back Friday for the finished mini! ;-)

12 comments:

Patchwork and Play said...

Your star positively glows Steffi!

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

Wow!! It's amazing! I love that technique.

Christine Feldstein said...

Very impressive star, really nice!

Alison said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

viridian said...

What beautiful colors! It is wonderful.

Joyce Carter said...

Beautiful, Steffi. I really love the colors.

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

Looks fantastic!

Kate said...

How lovely, and perfectly small!

~Diana said...

This is gorgeous!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Wow! Your friend a good idea and you made gorgeus star! Thank you for reminding about that technique! xTeje

Maryse said...

It looks fantastic! I think it could make a nice cushion too...What is the finished size?
Visiting from Quilt story.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Beautiful job and an excellent project for the interfacing technique. I love the black sketch as the background.