Monday, June 30, 2014

Basting the Pickle Dish

 Today is basting day for the Pickle Dish.
 Here you can see that I chose a different border than in the book. Ever since I saw Janet's (Quiltsalott) version of the quilt, I knew that I wanted to do the same border. 
I made it as wide as possible with my remaining fabric (6 1/2").
I especially like the sweet pansy faces in the fabric, and I know my mother will like them, too. 

Julia recently shared this video about basting a quilt on a table:
I did it the same way during the last years, but without the sticks at the center of the table.
This time I tried it with the sticks, and it is really great! Makes it very much easier to find the center of all three layers.
For the backing I made a patchwork of 20 fat quarters in pink shades from my stash. I forgot to take a picture, but I'll show you the next time.
I had nothing big enough in my stash, but was not keen on purchasing new stuff, so came up with this idea instead. 

I tried to keep myself busy this morning, and I am writing this with a heavy heart.
My sister had to bring one of her cats to the vet today to have her put down.

Lulu, 1998 - 2014

RIP little Lulu, you were such a sweetie.

2 comments:

Valerie Reynolds said...

Sorry about kitty :( I love your quilt...the colors, pattern....everything...it just makes me smile!

Wendy said...

So sorry about the furbaby...this is a great idea for basting a quilt...I hate getting down on the floor...thank you for sharing the video...your pickle dish is amazing and I will be looking forward to seeing the quilting you do on this one.