Friday, May 16, 2014

Rainbow Star for Blogger's Quilt Festival



My second entry for the Blogger's Quilt Festival is the Rainbow Star Quilt from my blog header. It is not new and if you are a reader of my blog, you already know it. But I wanted to enter a quilt in the Hand Quilted category, and this is my favorite one.
You may have noticed that there was a bit of a discussion about hand quilted quilts in the current festival, so hand quilters all over the world, enter a quilt in this category and show that we are still alive. ;-) 
 The pattern is Made in Cherry from Sarah Fielke, and the idea to make the star in a rainbow of colors and use the famous Ikea fabric as a background came from Hadley at Flying Blind On A Rocket Cycle.

I hand quilted it in one huge spiral, beginning in the middle. A really fun way to quilt!
The quilting lines are about 1 1/2" apart.
I used perle #8 cotton thread in a huge variety of colors to match the rainbow of fabrics in the big star, and white for the background.

 Even the binding is scrappy - made out of 24 different prints.
 The quilt hangs in our hallway now and every time I walk by one ore two fabric pieces catch my eye and make me think of my stash or of another project where I used the fabrics. So fun!
Sadly the hallway isn't wide enough for a better picture. ;-)
 I love how the quilt looks so very differently when folded in different ways.
 
 It even took part in a danish outdoor quilt show that my friend held two years ago!
(The quilting wasn't finished at that time.)

Quilt Stats:
Pattern: Made in Cerry by Sarah Fielke
Technique: machine pieced and big stitch hand quilted by me
Size: 84" x 84"


AmysCreativeSide.com

40 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

A gorgeous quilt...and when you fold it...it looks as if you have many many different quilts in those photos! :)

A hand quilter here as well..entered something because of the hand-quilting group at CHQ, not expecting to win anything but simply to support hand quilting! :)

Jolanda said...

Stunning! Just love your quilt!

quilthexle said...

Thanks for sharing this one (again), because otherwise, I would have missed it! It is sooo beautiful, I love how you quilted it!

Manuela said...

Beide Quilts sind Klasse.
Ich drücke dir die Daumen.

Liebe Grüße
Manuela

myBearpaw said...

absolutely gorgeous Quilt! Love that colour wash effect and your beautiful hand quilting!

Pattilou said...

Oh how I love this quilt. It is so well thought out and the colors blend so well.

Quilting Babcia said...

What a wonderful cheerful quilt. I love your spiral quilting design. Must try that on a future quilt.

Barbara said...

Beautiful job!

diane said...

Lovely

Beth said...

Great quilt. So much color!

einfach bunt said...

Wonderful work!

Fran said...

How wonderful to have it hanging up like that! A very inspirational piece.

Dolly said...

Thanks for sharing again when there are so many of us who have never come across this wonderful quilt. I like everything about it !

Anita said...

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful and it is amazing to me that it is all hand quilted. This is my first time seeing it and I love it!

Syed Kazim Ali said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sewfrench.com said...

Beautiful! I love the watercolor effect you have successfully created! I also like how you took a traditional quilt design and made it modern. You took me from not loving a LoneStar quilt designto wanting to make one!

Martha said...

This quilt is genius, and I think it's my favorite of your quilts, but that's such a difficult choice to make.

Debbie said...

I think that your quilt is fabulous. I love that you have a place to hang it in your home and that the quilt "changes" with the angle from which it is viewed! Wonderful!! Good luck!

Kelly said...

That is one very beautiful quilt!

Cathy said...

Wow, your quilt is fantastic! The mix of colorful prints, the rainbow color placement, and the text print for background - so fresh and cheerful. It must be really uplifting to see it every time you go out or come in your house.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love this - didn't realize it was so big until I saw it on your wall

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Wow! So traditional yet with a modern twist. Love the water color effect you achieved. Just plain gorgeous!

CitricSugar said...

Love the gradient rainbow effect! Just gorgeous.

Deb said...

I love this quilt so much. I think it is one of my favs in the festival.

Debbie said...

oh this is so lovely! And I'm so impressed with your hand-quilted spiral - awesome!

Rachaeldaisy said...

This is so wonderful! It's bright, bold, and beautiful. I love the circle quilting too, it really suits the quilt.

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

This is a lovely quilt. I love how you've hand quilted in circles. How did you keep the lines even distances apart? I'd like to try free hand hand quilting one day, but stick to straight lines at the moment.

Sagheer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Di said...

Rainbow fabrics are always so cheery, aren't they, and your spiral quilting suits perfectly. Beautiful quilt!

nerospost said...

Hi! I'm happy to see your quilt again, because it is just amazing! I wish it was on my wall to be able to enjoy it every day!
Cirle quilting is perfect for it! x Teje

Wendy said...

such a gorgeous quilt! I love rainbow quilt and I love stars, this is just fantastic!

Mina said...

This is so beautiful! I love how all the fabrics work so well together

Deb A said...

I just love your quilt! It drew me right in with the beautiful array of colors and that wonderful spiral quilting. Just lovely.

Blue.Ridge.Girl said...

Wow-oh-Wow! I just had to pop over from the Blogger's Quilt Festival to say what a beauty you have here! Hooray for hand quilting!!

Ruth said...

That is one stunning quilt. I love how all your fabrics work together and the Ikea nummer is perfect with it!

nusrat ali said...

Earn 10% Profit Daily without any work, just invest and rest for your profit
Facebook.com/groups/EarningsClub
EarningsClub.Com

Ahsan Afsar said...

World Most Popular and Top Amazing Speedy Cars
TopAmazingCars.BlogSpot.Com

ahmedraza moon said...

Earning is only for you, just spend 1 hour daily and earn upto $35 Daily with just clicking job, Join Now
adsclickearning.com

bilal sabir ali said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
waleedgazdar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.