Friday, October 25, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Scrappy Trips Quilt

It's already the end of October, and so it is the time for Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival again.

AmysCreativeSide

This year I decided to enter the Scrappy Trips Around The World quilt that I made as a secret birthday gift for my husband last month.

 My regular blog readers already know this quilt. I am sorry to show it again, but at least a few of the pictures are new.
All  new readers who came through the festival: welcome to my blog, I hope you like it here.:-)

Earlier this year I decided that it was time to finally make a quilt for my dear hubby. Everybody else in my family has at least one quilt from me. So I thought he would like one, too.
I started to work on the scrappy trips blocks back in July. Because I wanted to keep the quilt a secret, I could only work on it when my hubby was at work.
Here are all my strips for the blocks. I decided on a pallette of blues from light to dark, and as a contrasting color in each block I chose some yellow, orange and lime fabrics.
The top came together quite quickly, and by the End of July I could start the quilting.
I finished the quilt in time and gave it to my dear hubby last month. He had really no idea and was quite surprised. Thankfully he never reads my blog or looks at my photos on the computer. :-)

 
 Recently we took the quilt with us to a nice old town and did some outdoor shots in front of the old buildings.


 Here is my sweetie with his quilt:

 The Quilt is machine pieced and hand quilted. I used perle cotton thread and big stitches for the quilting.
Quilt stats:
Size: 58" x 70"
machine pieced and hand quilted by me
quilted in yellow and three different blues, with perle cotton #8 and big stitch quilting

18 comments:

sonia said...

Such a beautiful quilt and gift! Your husband must be really happy. We are sharing category in the festival. Good luck!!

Julia Graber said...

Beautiful! I love the "Scrappy Trips" and yours is no exception.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love this quilt, thanks for showing it again

Beth said...

What a great gift! And that hand quilting is just fantastic.

Charlotte said...

lovely colour scheme, and a fantastic gift!

Vicki Posten said...

What a lucky guy! The colors are amazing. Great location for pictures, it really sets of your great handiwork!

Becky Collins said...

This quilt is very pretty and the photos, especially in front of the old buildings, are also very pretty.

Seams Sew Together said...

So in love with Trip around the world quilts, love it!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your lovely quilt on that white gate looks beautiful! What a lucky guy to own such a beauty!

Rebecka said...

I love your photos!! Excellent! Your quilt is a beauty and I love your colors!

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

My favorite picture is the one with your hubby wearing his quilt. Very sweet!

CitricSugar said...

Great scrappy trip! Love your hand-quilting.

Nilya said...

Oh wow, deine Spiderwebs sind der Knaller!!!

Mimi said...

Love the picture with the folded quilt squares lined up. This quilt should feel important to have a trip out and about for a photo shoot! Looks great on the big gate.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your Scrappy Trips looks wonderful. I love the layout you used and the colours. Your husband must have been so happy to get this for his birthday!

ipatchandquilt said...

Your quilt is wonderful, joyful and masculine at the same time!
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

Sharon said...

Wonderful Scrappy Trip quilt! I like your controlled color scheme, and your layout as well. Great photo shoot!

I've got a Scrappy Trip in the BQF too. Mine is done in Halloween fabrics. I want to do one in a more controlled color scheme, as well. It sounds like a fun challenge.

Paula@TheSassyQuilter said...

Congrats on your win! Lovely quilt, you deserve it:)