Saturday, September 28, 2013

my favorite Quilt(s)

Mary of Molly Flanders asked for our favorite quilts.
Well, that is difficult to answer. For me, it is often the quilt I am working on at the moment.
But I have two quilts that are really special to me, and although you know them, I'll show them again.

 The first one is my Selvage Stars Quilt.

 I love it because I can look at the selvage pieces and remember each and every fabric they came from.
 It was also one of my first attempts in big stitch quilting, and I am hooked ever since.

 Even the binding is made out of selvages!
 Selvage Stars hangs in our living room so that I can see it every day.

 My second favorite is the Rainbow Star Quilt from my blog header.
 The pattern is Made in Cherry from Sarah Fielke, and the idea to make the star in a rainbow of colors and use the famous Ikea fabric as a background came from Hadley at Flying Blind On A Rocket Cycle.

I hand quilted it in one huge spiral, beginning in the middle. A really fun way to quilt!

 Even the binding is scrappy - made out of 24 different prints.
 The quilt hangs in our hallway now and every time I walk by one ore two fabric pieces catch my eye and make me think of my stash or of another project where I used the fabrics. So fun!

 I love how the quilt looks so very differently when folded in different ways.


 

 It even took part in a danish outdoor quilt show that my friend held last summer!
Thank you for this linky party, Mary! Now I'll go and have a look at the other favorite quilts!

14 comments:

Grit said...

Beide Quilts sind unglaublich schön. Der große Stern ist aber mein Favorit.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I always love quilts of many colors the colors just shine I guess you could say and of course are like a rainbow! love both of them!

Valerie Reynolds said...

I loved seeing where your quilts hang. Thanks for sharing Steffi.

Patti said...

Two beautiful quilts, and I love that you put them where you can see them every day! I can't imagine how much fabric you had to go through to acquire so many selvages!

poppyinstitches said...

fabulous star, the colours are brilliant and I love the circular quilting!

Rachaeldaisy said...

It's great to see these 2 wonderful quilts in all their glory. I love how you showed the star quilt folded in different ways highlights the different colours.

quiltswithpersonality said...

Just simply amazing Steffi. Love the selvages. Very clever. The rainbow star is Beautiful. I love the close up to see all the different fabric.

quiltswithpersonality said...

Just simply amazing Steffi. Love the selvages. Very clever. The rainbow star is Beautiful. I love the close up to see all the different fabric.

Kwiltz by Stephanie said...

OOOH! Selvedges and color and that great Ikea fabric! LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing!

Suz J said...

Wow I can see why you love both of these quilts. It is a shame there is no Ikea in NZ.

Mary said...

Wowza! I love both star quilts but the big rainbow star with the text background is marvelous! It looks great taking up a huge space in your hall! LOVE IT! Thank you for sharing :)

Wens said...

Wow! Your quilts are so lovely! And such a lot of work!! All those tiny selvedges! Amazing. I love the giant rainbow star, its such a beauty and the gradation of colour is perfection.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Two beautiful quilts and I love the reasons that you chose them as favorites too!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! Those are gorgeous quilts! I LOVE the big patchwork star -- Beautiful!