Saturday, August 10, 2013

Shirts

A few years ago I got a stack of shirts from my sister's boyfriend. I kept them in my closet with the intention to "someday" make a quilt or two out of them.
Today I was in the right mood to cut some of them up.
I started by cutting off the lower parts of the sleeves. I'll save these parts for my Mum who has an idea for using them.
 Then I cut the sleeves off from the shirt and cut the side seam open.
 Two nice pieces of fabric.
 Then I cut the shirt's side seams open and remove the back piece from the yoke (?).
Here is the back with a fat quarter on top of it. So, the back alone is more than a quarter yard, an this is only a size M shirt.
 Fot now, I leave the collar and front part alone and keep them intact.
 The part with the buttons and buttonholes make a nice back for a small pillow cover. ;-)
I found this printed to one of the collars. Made in West Germany. Quite antique, huh? :-)

Here are the leftovers and cutted seams.
 For now I only selected the blue shades and added a bit of light pink and grey. I think I'll need a bit more variety for a scrappy looking quilt. So I'll ask around in the family and have a look if I find a thrift store. (Unfortunately we don't have a lot of thrift stores in Germany, at least not in our rural area.)
Vor ein paar Jahren habe ich einen Stapel alte Hemden vom Freund meiner Schwester bekommen. Ich wollte schon lange einen oder mehrere Quilts daraus nähen.
Heute morgen war ich in der richtigen Stimmung, um einige davon auseinander zu schneiden.
Zuerst habe ich die unteren Ärmelteile abgeschnitten. Die bekommt meine Mutter, die eine Idee dafür hat.
Dann habe ich die Ärmel vom Hemd abgeschnitten und die Seitennähte aufgeschnitten.
Nachdem ich auch die Seitennähte des Hemdes aufgeschnitten habe, habe ich dann das Rückenteil von der Schulterpasse getrennt. Allein das Rückenteil hat mehr als ein Fat Quarter an Stoff in sich, und dieses Hemd ist nur Größe M.
Kragen, Schulterpasse und die Vorderteile mit der Knopfleiste lasse ich erstmal intakt und bewahre sie auf.
Aus dem Vorderteil kann man z.B. prima die Rückseite für ein kleines Kuschelkissen machen - Knopfleiste bereits fertig! :-)
Im Kragen eines Hemdes ist "Made in West Germany" aufgedruckt. Das ist ja fast schon antik! :-)
Ein Haufen abgeschnittene Nähte etc ist in den Mülleimer gewandert, und übrig geblieben ist ein Stapel schöner Stoffe. Vorerst habe ich nur die blauen Hemden rausgesucht, mit etwas hellgrau und rosa dazu. Aber ich denke, für einen "scrappy" Quilt brauche ich noch mehr verschiedene Stoffe/Hemden. Also mal in der Familie rumfragen oder in Kleiderkammern stöbern, wenn ich welche finde. Leider gibt es davon hier in unserer Gegend (noch) nicht viele.


6 comments:

Lori R said...

My son offered me a pile of old blue jeans and even though, I wanted to accept, I said NO. My piles are big enough. Not long after that, I found a large Rubbermaid container, full of old blue jeans! I already had a blue jean hoard!! I'll have to find a project.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

shirting's are good for quilts aren't they! you will have a bit of fabric to add to your stash.

Jodi said...

Nice! I love the pillow idea with the buttons/holes. I have a shirt quilt in the works. I hope to get it finished soon.

Valerie Reynolds said...

I look forward to watching the progress of this project...as I'm thinking of making one for my friend who's dad passed away and we'll use his shirts.

Mimi said...

Not often I learn three things in one blog post.
1. Fat quarter at least in a shirt.
2. Make a pillow back "easy"
3. West German may be better called Historic rather than antique.

thanks

sarahquilts.com said...

I've estimated an XL shirt is at least a yard! I posted about it a week or 2 ago.

I'm going to make a set of bunk bed quilts for my boys!