Wednesday, December 19, 2012

the Secret Pillow and the Tree Skirt

When I told my husband that I plan to give everyone in the family a handmade pillow this Christmas and when I showed him the results, he said with a sad face "everybody but me gets a beautiful pillow".
Dear sweetie, do you really think that I would forget you?
Of course you get a pillow of your own! 
A very special pillow, bigger and more elaborate than all the others!
Here is a work-in-progress picture:
 Now I am quilting it in the mornings when my hubby is at work. He works the morning shift this week so I have to hurry to get this done by Friday.
 Each year the same: the week before Christmas I start to think that I don´t have enough gifts. I begin to panic and think of additional gifts that I would manage to finish before The Big Day. Is it only me or are you doing this, too?
 Well, this is why I started this tree skirt a few days ago as a present for my parents.
No time to order special fabrics or drive one hour to the next quilt shop, so the fabrics I already had will have to do. I paired the only christmas fabric I had with a few other greens and made trees, bordered them with white and found a perfect red fat quarter for the strips between the trees.
I´ll have to quilt this by machine, so wish me luck! 
Thankfully we did the big grocery and last-minute gift shopping yesterday so there still are a few days left for me to work on it.

Linking up once again with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

9 comments:

Grit said...

Das Kissen für Deinen Mann wird super. Da wird er sich sicher sehr freuen. Und auch die Decke mit den Weihnachtsbäumen sieht ganz Klasse aus.
Liebe Grüße Grit

sewfrench.com said...

Cute! I think some of our best projects come from using what we have.
And my recent Christmas Tree skirt was where I practiced my FMQ! A new needle made all the difference for me!
Good Luck!

Manuela said...

Hallo Steffi,

das Kissen für deinen Mann wird Klasse.
Auch die Weihnachstbaumdecke für deine Eltern gefällt mir richtig gut.

Liebe Grüße
Manuela

Rachel said...

The Christmas tree skirt is stunning. Did you make it up, or is there a pattern?

capitolaquilter said...

Love the tree skirt - same question as Rachel, pattern??

LynCC said...

Gorgeous, both!!

Patti said...

Wonderful use of fabric on hand! the tree skirt if fabulous!

Marie said...

Lucky hubby! And what a great tree skirt - good luck with the deadlines.

West Side of Straight said...

Love your pillow and tree skirt! I am just like you!!! sewing until the last minute. I also just got done with a tree skirt, and now have some pillows yet to make!!! hee hee!!!
Merry Christmas!