Saturday, November 24, 2012

a Fabric House

Last week I saw this online! Isn´t it cute?
Immediately I thought that it would be perfect as a gift for my little niece and goddaughter who turns three tomorrow.
But there was no time to order the fabric and pattern online and wait for 4 to 6 weeks for it to arrive.
So I thought that maybe I could do it myself.

Do you remember those fabrics from wednesday?
 I added some appliqué and sewed an inner and an outer house.
 Although I used strong fusible interfacing, I had some problems with the stability of the building.
 Fortunately I had leftovers of thin plywood (around 1/8") from building dollhouse furniture.
 After reinforcing the house with the wood pieces, it now stands nicely.
You can use it as a bag, or you can unbutton one side and fold it down to use it as a little doll house.

My niece loves Hello Kitty, so this is a little Kitty home, complete with a patio and a lawn.
 In her home she has a plant, a lamp, a picture of a little boy with a pig, a striped rug and a clock.

 On the outside there are flowers, an apple tree and a birdhouse.
The size of the house is approx. 6" x 8", and 7" high. It was more challenging to construct than I thought, but it was fun, too. I will let you know if she likes it!


6 comments:

♥Duff said...

holy smokes! I check ed out the link and I can't believe how cute yours came out! It looks so hard to construct but you make is sound enjoyable (but a little challenging). Amazing! Congrats! I hope she loves it!!

Kangala said...

It is beautiful! You are very talented:)

Meredith said...

She will like it. Wow is all I can say.

Martha said...

Steffi -- I love this so much! You took the original design, gave it your own personal touch, and made it even cuter -- and all by using fabrics and materials you had on hand. Your little niece is going to love this adorable Hello Kitty house.

Grit said...

Wow, this is fantastic.
I love the fabrics you used.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Kate said...

You are so clever! It's adorable.