Friday, September 28, 2012

the Rainbow Star Quilt

Do you remember my Rainbow Star Quilt? 
I started it in June and posted about it here.

The pattern is Made in Cherry by Sarah Fielke and the idea for the color placement came from Hadley at Flying blind on a Rocket Cycle.

It traveled with me to Denmark in August and was part of the outdoor quilt show when it was still a WIP.
 Some days ago I finally did the last stitch of the quilting.
 
 Then I made a rainbow binding out of 24 different fabrics...
 ...and attached it to the quilt.
I played around with the finished quilt a bit. 
I love how different it looks when folded in various ways. So many beautiful fabrics!



 Now the Rainbow Star hangs in our new and freshly painted corridor. We found the perfect wall space for it there. Please excuse the dark pictures. It is raining a lot these days. Autumn has arrived quite suddenly.
 

 It was so much fun to make this quilt. I think it is one of my favorites. Playing with all those different fabric squares made me happy, and I also love the Ikea background fabric.
For quilting I used perle cotton and quilted a huge spiral beginning in the middle. I used a lot of different thread colors to match the fabrics. 
The batting is Blue Ribbon Mountain Mist cotton batting. I tried it for the first time and I was very pleased with it. Although I read about some disappointed quilters who used it in the past, I wanted to give it a try.
It is a very light and thin batting, it quilted very nicely and resulted in a quilt that is not too heavy for it´s big size. 
The package says that the quilting lines should not be more than 2" apart. In this case, the spiral lines are 1 1/2" apart. I would definitely use this batting again when I plan in doing enough quilting.

PS: I´m linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts´ Finish it up Friday. 


21 comments:

Maureen said...

Stunning! And you get to look at it everyday in all it's glory! I'm glad you said the background fabric was from IKEA - I wondered. Love how you quilted it. Well done!

Brenna said...

Beautiful! Amazing use of color.

Carla said...

Gorgeous! Gorgeous!

Grit said...

Der Quilt ist wirklich toll. Und der Platz ist genial. So kannst Du ihn jedes Mal beim Vorbeilaufen sehen und Dich daran erfreuen.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Suzan said...

Beautiful quilt! I love all the gorgeous colors.

beth said...

WOW! What a BEAUTIFUL quilt for your wall! Love it.

Cathi said...

Stunning quilt! What fun it must be to see all the different fabrics you used in it. I love scrappy bindings - a perfect choice for that quilt.

Kerstin said...

It's absolutely amazing! What a great finish!

bethanndodd said...

Fabulous!
Smiles~Beth

retstickan said...

I want one! Absolutely gorgeous.

Beth said...

Wow - everything about this is beautiful! I love the rainbow of colors and the scrappy binding!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great rainbow quilt. Good to see it done and hanging. I bought a large bold print after I was your top as I loved the effect. Not started anything yet.

Kristan said...

This is an absolutely stunning quilt. And thanks for talking about batting! I rarely see anyone talk about batting and am very interested in hearing what others use and why.

Angie said...

What a fabulous quilt!!! It is simply GORGEOUS.

Karen H said...

Wow, this quilt is amazing. Love, love, love it! :)

Heather said...

Gorgeous!! Such happy, cheerful colors and I also love the background print. Great finish!

merrily row said...

I have been watching your progress. The final result is a wonderful quilt. Bless you for your persistence. You have a treasure.

ohiomom said...

This quilt is gorgeous and stunning. I would love to make one, but I think it would take forever. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Absolutely stunning - well done!

Nicole said...

Wow, it's gorgeous!

deborah made said...

Your quilt is just amazing!! Such great use of colors!! Love!!