Tuesday, May 22, 2012

started quilting the Monster

 A few days ago I finally started to hand quilt my Grandmother´s Flower Garden aka "the Monster".
Here is a full shot of the top. I finished it in October 2010 and basted it last July. 
This poor top was a long-time UFO that I started more than 10 years ago. Then I joined Karen´s One Flower Wednesday and it was such a great help and encouragement to finally finish this quilt top.
Well, after I basted it, I started to think about a good quilting pattern. To be honest, this big quilt was a bit intimidating. I really wanted to quilt it by hand, but I don´t wanted it to take another 10 years to finish the quilting. 

So it sat there in one corner of my sewing room and looked at me...and almost one year flew by. (unbelieveable!)

Now I made a decision and started to quilt it using once again my beloved perle cotton and the big stitch technique. I know that it is not very suitable to quilt a 30s reproduction quilt this way (although I once saw a quilt from the 40s that was quilted with embroidery floss) but it increases the chance to have it done one day in the near future a lot! 
The big stitch technique really is a LOT faster than "normal" hand quilting.

We will move into a new apartment in two months, and it would be wonderful to have this quilt finished for our new bedroom. I would love to paint the wall behind the bed in a nice matching lavender. :-)

I use Quilter´s Dream Request cotton batting, and it really quilts like a dream!

4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that batting too - even if the quilting takes a year or so you will be delighted with the out come!
Karen

Meredith said...

I am glad you are hand quilting it. Have fun! I do enjoy the same batting

Renate said...

Dann wünsche ich dir viel Erfolg! Zwei Monate sind nicht viel Zeit für die Quiltarbeit.
Mir gefällt die Big-Stitch Arbeit übrigens ausgezeichnet.

Janet said...

I think it's going to look fabulous with perle quilting, enjoy the process.