Friday, September 9, 2011

Big Stitch Quilting


At the moment I am quilting my Postage Stamp quilt. I am using blue Perle No. 8 cotton thread and an embroidery needle, and I am very pleased with the results so far. In only one week I managed to quilt more than half of the top!
My plan is to use this quilt on my bed this coming winter, so I have to hurry now to get it done. It is quickly getting colder and I need a new warm and cozy quilt! :-)

I used a "Kyoto" bamboo batting because I wanted to try it out, and I can say it quilts very nice, it gets softer and softer during the quilting and handling, and it drapes beautifully.
BUT:
Every time I start a new thread, this happens. I hope you can see what I mean: the thread pulls some fibers of the batting out to the front.
I heard this before from another brand of bamboo batting, so I was prepared that it might happen with mine, too.
However, I wanted to give it a try.
With this busy and colorful quilt it is not that tragically. You can pull the fibers away and then it is nearly invisible.

But I think for my next quilt I will use cotton batting again...

9 comments:

Lucy said...

This is incredibly beautiful! I love the fabric and the quilting looks amazing. Such a lot of work, those little postage stamps are lovely though and it sure looks snuggly :)
Lucy
xx
http://charmaboutyou.blogspot.com

KatheG said...

WOW!!! Beautiful quilt. I really like the way you are quilting it. Encourages me to try that one one of my smaller works (if I can ever get one of them done). Thanks.

Quilter Kathy said...

Such beautiful photos of your quilting...I am inspired to go and do some hand quilting now!

Kathie said...

I love the pictures of your hand quilting
I have just started to quilt with pearle cotton.
it takes a bit getting used to but I love the look!
thanks for the inspirational pictures.
love your quilt !
30's just make me happy!
how are you marking the lines on your quilt?
kathie

Caron Mosey said...

I love this quilt! It's very pretty, and lends itself to a larger quilting stitch very nicely. So pretty!

karenfae said...

very nice - I have wondered about the bamboo batting thanks for telling us about it - I wonder how it will wash up.
Karen

Christine said...

beautiful quilt

Carla said...

Your stitching is wonderful.

Unknown said...

I used a bamboo batting on what was essentially a black quilt. What a mess! Never again will I touch the stuff.