Friday, May 13, 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival - Double Wedding Ring

It´s time for Amy´s Bloggers Quilt Festival again.

And I think it´s time to show you my very first „big“ quilt. I made pillows, wallhangings and other small items before, but this is my first bed sized quilt: a Double Wedding Ring in blue fabrics...not the best pattern for a first try, you say? :-)

Well, today I would have chosen another pattern, but back then I was young and didn´t think about it too much – I liked the pattern and I wanted to have such a quilt, so I started.

The blue fabrics came from my (small) stash, and the white background was a linen sheet from my mom´s closet. No good idea, because it was hard to hand quilt and make the quilt a real heavyweight. Because I wanted a warm and thick quilt I put two layers of polyester batting in it – polyester was the only available batting in our small fabric shop. Today I know it all better. Today I like thin quilts with an antique look. The times are changing. :-)

The entire quilt is made by hand, there is not only one machine stitch in it. You should see the quilting stitches – they are ¼ inch long. :-)

Well, it was in the days before everybody had a computer and internet (1998/1999). I had a few quilting books, and that was all. So I just had to try, and it worked out not too bad for a first attempt in curved piecing and such a big project.

We still use this quilt on our bed as the „winter quilt“, because it´s so heavy and warm – perfect for really cold nights. So despite all it´s imperfections it is still loved and used.

I cherish it because it started my love for sewing quilts and because I learned a lot from making it.

One day I would love to sew another Double Wedding Ring – in 30s reproduction fabrics and with smaller pieces – but this is another story... ;-)

A big thank you for my husband Michael for his help with taking the pictures! You were a great quilt holder again. :-) And thank you Amy for giving us all the opportunity to come together in this event.

21 comments:

Patty D from NC said...

This quilt is beautiful. I've wanted to do a double wedding ring myself.

Kristie said...

Beautiful!

Lonci said...

This is one amazing quilt.

Becky said...

It's super gorgeous! I love double wedding rings and still have this on my to-do list. Of course I'm not that good, mine won't be all handstitched! Amazing work!

fallingforpieces said...

This is just fantastic! I'm in awe of all the work that went into this!

Sand and Sunshine said...

Gorgeous, what an amazing quilt, and to think it was your first big quilt my goodness. This is a true beauty.

Jessica said...

What a beautiful example of a double wedding ring quilt! I am about to start my first attempt at this quilt, thank you for the inspiration!

stitchinpenny said...

A gorgeous quilt and all hand done. I was in love the second Isaw the quilting.

traceyjay said...

so lovely... ♥ I can't believe this was a first quilt either! ;)

Melinda said...

Just beautiful!

twin fibers said...

Wow! It's gorgeous and quite an accomplishment. I can't believe this was your first large quilt. It's wonderful!

Eileen said...

Just lovely! Great colors and all by hand...super impressive. Thanks for sharing your masterpiece and have a great day

Karen said...

It is a very beautiful quilt. Love all the blues. I have to admire your patience with all the hand stitching.

Megan said...

Beautiful!!! Wow, that was your first quilt!?!?! Amazing job!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

In all honesty, I think there is not a darn thing wrong with this quilt because you made it beautiful and useful by learning on your own. You should definately be proud of this one.

Hollie said...

What a beautiful quilt. I love the blues and the binding is amazing.

Cathi said...

What a fabulous double wedding ring quilt! I love the blues you used in it!

Sandra said...

Beautiful traditional quilt. It has a nice vintage feel. Love all the handwork. das es gut (spell)
Come see my entries: #210 repro cheddar orange stars-miniature and #214 antique applique garden delight

Irina said...

This is an AMAZING piece of work! and it's all hand stitched!!! fair play to you! I love the colours as well, my first big quilt (and so far still the only one) is white and blue...

Janet said...

I love the DWR, your's is beautiful in blue.

Briana Arlene said...

This is GORGEOUS! I can't believe that there is not a single machine stitch on this. Amazing.