Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Barbie Dresses

In the last days I saw pictures of Barbie Dolls with beautiful dresses, and read about other people who sew for their dolls. So I got a nostalgic feeling and unpacked my own Barbie dolls and the dresses I made for them when I was a teenager, before I discovered quilting.
Here are a few of my creations. As you can see, I loved (and still love) the fashion of the fifties.
This is the reproduction of the first Barbie, made for the 35th anniversary of the doll in 1994. It was my last year in school, and I HAD to have this doll! I was a huge fan back then.

The left one is a Living Skipper doll from the 70s that I got from one of my older cousins. I always liked this doll a lot! She has the most outfits, not only dresses, but also a coat, sweaters, shirts, jeans and a riding dress with black boots, hand sewn from fake leather.


I would like to sew a few new dresses for them in the future. What about a little collection of 30s style dresses from my reproduction fabrics? Or some modern jeans-and-boots outfits? So many ideas, so little time. First I have to do a lot of other work, and a few christmas presents, and then maybe back to the dolls...not to forget my hexagon project...sorry that I don´t have to show you something new!

7 comments:

syocom said...

I love them they are adorable. The cloths you made are so good and stylish.

Brigitte said...

You have quite the collection. I think the 1950's was called "The Fabulous Fifties" for good reason.
www.quiltsampler.blogspot.com

Martha said...

I am so impressed, Steffi! I have never even attempted to sew Barbie clothes because they are so tiny. The outfits you made are adorable and look like new.

Anna Lena Land said...

Oh my, you were quite the seamstress! I just posted about dolls, including my Barbie in a dress my mom knit, on my blog today, too.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I love your Barbie's and their dresses! I never had a Barbie growing up but I wish I had!

Diane H said...

Wonderful dresses! Your reproduction Barbie - I had the original when I was a little girl in the early 1960s. I loved her outfits and still remember them.

LuAnn said...

I love seeing your Barbies...brings back a lot of good memories. Beautiful dresses!!!