Thursday, October 28, 2010

"Selvage Stars", my Blogger´s Quilt Festival Entry


Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival

Amy is hosting the Blogger´s Quilt Festival again, and just in time I finished my selvage quilt that I want to show you now.

I call it "Selvage Stars - my 1930s Fabric Collection", because all the selvages are from my stash of reproduction 30s fabrics. If you already know my blog, you know that I love nothing more than my 30s fabrics, and that´s why I also love this quilt very much. It is like a catalog of my favorite fabrics. More than 10 years of collecting are in it, and when I look at it I see a lot of good old friends. There is the ever popular Aunt Grace from Judie Rothermel, Darlene Zimmerman, Windham Feedsacks, Everything but the Kitchen Sink, and a lot more.
I live in Germany, and it is nearly impossible to buy reproduction fabrics here because they are quite unknown. So I order almost all my fabrics online at US shops. I really don´t know what to do without the internet! ;-)
For this quilt I sorted my selvage strips by color and sewed them onto muslin diamonds to form the stars.
I then quilted it by machine as well as by hand, using variegated embroidery threads and big stitch quilting with an embroidery needle in the blue background areas. Because of the multiple layers of muslin and selvages, it is hard to quilt these parts of the quilt by hand. So I used a bit of machine quilting and did the rest by tying the layers together with embroidery thread in matching colors. The big stitch quilting was a lot of fun, and I think I´ll use this technique again in the future.
I wanted to repeat the selvage theme in the binding, and so I sewed long strips of printed selvages to muslin strips and used these as the binding. It went surprisingly well. Only at the corners it is a little bit bulky because of the extra fabric.

Of all quilts that I did until now I think that this is one of my absolute favorites because of all the memories that are linked with the fabrics. There is so much to look at, to read the words, to see the little color windows, to feel the soft hairy edges of some of the selvages. It´s definitively not my last selvage project!
Thank you Amy for all your work with the Online Festivals! They are so much fun for all of us!

37 comments:

quiltilicious said...

Wow - what an amazing amount of work that has gone into this quilt!

Linda said...

Oh my goodness...this is an amazing and fun quilt!

Doris said...

A 30s selvage quilt? Unusual but gorgeous and stunning all the same! Great job...

Kristen said...

So beautiful! Wonderful eye-candy!

Carol said...

Amazing and such dedication to take the time to collect all the fabrics for so long. The stars are beautiful.

Kaye Prince said...

Very cool - so neat that you used your selvages in a larger design!

Lois said...

I love it. What a happy quilt. Love Lois

Michelle said...

Fascinating! I never realized selvages could make such a beautiful quilt.

Melinda said...

I love your quilt - thank you for sharing it.

Allie said...

Oh. My. Stars. This is absolutely wonderful!!! I can't even begin to tell you how much I love it.

Janet said...

Very beautiful! Such soft colours! I've been trying to think of a selvage quilt and had also thought of separating them by colours. Now that I've seen yours I know I like the idea.

Karen said...

That quilt is awesome! You have added such wonderful touches. Great colours.

Sandra said...

What a delightful selvage star--you definitely achieved the vintage 30's look. Thanks for sharing. Have you sent it to the selvage blog?
Hope you can come see me antique entry
1890 antique schoolhouse quilt
http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com

Chris said...

Wunderbare Arbeit. Ich liebe 30s auch. Ich habe ihnen gesammelt haben seit Jahren.

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

I love this quilt. I was wondering how long you had to collect selvage for to make it- 10 years is forever. I better keep stashing!

Thanks for inspiring me to keep cutting and keeping those edges!

Martha said...

It's spectacular, Steffi! What a wonderful way to use those selvages, and I can see how it would bring back memories of all the fabrics you have collected over the years.

Miri said...

Beautiful! I just love this selvage quilt.

I've been thinking of doing this star as a string quilt but your idea of selvages is fantastic! It was a very popular pattern in the 30s. I own a vintage string star quilt top-she sewed the strings to a muslin diamond then appliqued the star to a background square. Your quilt is much prettier!

SLIKstitches.blogspot.com said...

What a fantastic idea, I LOVE this quilt :-)

Benta

Kate said...

Wonderful quilt! Great story!

quiltmom said...

Beautiful quilt with lots of wonderful stories to tell - what a long time it must have take to collect all those wonderful selvages.
I love the quilting on it too.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Anna

Karen said...

This is stunning. There is so much work in this quilt. It looks wonderful!

Selvage Quilter said...

Wow, this quilt is wonderful!!!

May I share it (and link to your blog) on the Selvage Blog?

Angie @ CraftedAngles said...

What a beautiful string quilt!

Angie - www.craftedAngles.com

Martine said...

quelle collecte de bandes pour réaliser ce quilt félicitation

Brigitte said...

What a beautiful quilt and so much work!
www.quiltsampler.blogspot.com

Katie said...

You must have quite the stash to be able to make this whole quilt! It's beautiful.

Vicki said...

pretty! such a great idea.

Melinda said...

I love when people quilt and sew with the selvage edges! I always throw mine out with a little pang of regret for the things I do not have the patience to make out of them.

Leslie said...

this is amazing!!! great job

mngirltx said...

Very fun! I love selvage quilts!!

Mama Mel said...

Wow! Amazing! I love the selvage strips! :)

pinsandneedles said...

Such an amazing quilt! I really want to make a selvage quilt but I have years of saving selvages before that will happen. Love it!

RETRO-fabulous said...

What a gorgeous quilt. I'm still saving the selvages, hoping for fun project. Thanks so much for sharing!!

"Lois Grebowski" said...

wow! I love how you used selvages! Pure genius!

Barb said...

what a wonderful selvage quilt - bravo!!

Christine said...

Love your selvage quilt it looks fantastic, what size needle do you use for your embroidery thread quilting?

cheers
Christine

Eileen said...

great quilt! how fun you've used selveges to do the diamonds and put it together into such a lovely quilt. my daughter told me about saving selveges and i've been doing that for a couple years now...your quilt inspires me to use them! thanks for sharing and have a great day