Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Flower Garden Quilt Top is finished!!!

I cannot believe it - the quilt top is finally finished!
It is so big that it´s hard to take a photo of the whole thing. :-)
(it measures 67.5 x 109 inches or 1,71 x 2,76 m)
I must confess that I "cheated" a bit in the end. I sewed the white border pieces togehter by machine, and then attached the long border strips to the top by hand. I was a bit fed up by all the white pieces in the end and only wanted to finish it.
Here´s one corner. Instead of normal hexagons I drafted these border pieces to get a straight edge.
And this is how the half flowers look now.
I worked on this top for so long that it is hard to believe that I´m really finished. I almost feel a kind of loss - what will I sew this evening in front of the TV??? :-)

I enjoyed One Flower Wednesday so much, and I am still not fed up with hexagons, so I decided to do another Flower Garden quilt.
Look at this antique beauty! Isn´t it amazing?
Martha from Q is for Quilter and me decided to both make such a quilt in a little sew-along. So I´ll have to show some new flowers soon! Martha, as soon as my new fabrics arrive, I´m ready to start! ;-)

Now I have to decide what kind of batting I´ll us to quilt the lavender flower garden. Is anybody here who tried the bamboo-cotton batting? My patchwork shop recommended this to me, but they had no finished quilt to feel and look at. So any hints would be helpful!:-)

19 comments:

Marion B. said...

Oh wow, they are both gorgeous, your flower quilt ánd the antique beauty. But yours is better hihi.
No realy, wonderful and amazing.

Martha said...

Steffi -- the Lavender Flower Garden is absolutely beautiful, and it's so nice to finally see it all put together. I love the way you did the half blocks, and making those elongated hexagons for the edge was so clever -- I'm definitely going to use that technique in the future. A wonderful accomplishment all around!

I have never used bamboo batting, and I probably won't after reading this post by my friend, Ann.

http://annchampion.com/?p=752

She tried it for the first time on her amazing Princess Feather quilt and it bearded. I checked online and quite a few other quilters have had this problem with the bamboo. My favorite is Quilter's Dream Request Batting.

I'm excited for us to start our versions of the antique mosaic quilt -- I am just stitching my first star.

Birdie said...

Wow a finish. Love the purples.

Marieke (www.tuinliefde.punt.nl) said...

Wow: great finished top: I just love the coulours and finishing! You can be proud of yourself. And what you will be sewing this evening? Maybe this: http://supergoof.web-log.nl/mijn_weblog/2010/09/bijna-hoedjesdag.html? ;-) Enjoy the quilting (and sorry: I don't have any experience with the bamboo batting).

Leanne said...

yippie a finished top - so motivating!
It looks wonderful.

Love Leanne

Geta Grama said...

Fabulous quilt! One of the most beautiful I have ever seen! I just hope some day I will be able to make one half as beautiful as yours.

Tineke said...

Congratulations on finishing this beautiful quilttop. I am so glad that you decided to make another one :-)

Fiesta said...

congratulations. It is beautiful.

Karen said...

That is one beautiful garden Steffi!!!! So big and I love how you finished the border. You should be very proud.

I so enjoyed watching your garden grow and look forward to your next flower garden. The antique quilt is a delight!

I have used the bamboo/cotton batting and like it. I would say it is more like a polyester batting, just not as puffy.

A perfect ending to my day Steffi!

Vivian said...

Congratulations! Your flower garden is beautiful. I also love Quilter's Dream Request batting, as Martha does.

Christina said...

Absolutely stunning! Love your garden of flowers!!

Sandra said...

This is so beautiful! I love how you framed each flower with white and then used the smaller diamonds to connnect them. I'm looking forward to seeing how you will quilt this. Nice job:)

ELP said...

Oh my your quilt is beautiful. I can only hope that someday I will finish a hexie quilt.

Wendy said...

Beautiful!

Melody said...

This is such a beautiful quilt. Well done.

...tiktakro... said...

This quilt is MARVELOUS. I love the purple diamond path, it gives such a "finesse" to the quilt.
Hope the you have sweet dreams under it ;).
Teodora.

Christine Feldstein said...

I admire your work! this is an incredibly beautiful quilt top! Congratulations!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Beautiful and the addition of the diamonds is great!

tubakk said...

A beautiful quilt. I can smell the lavendel right here in Norway.