Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The first Stars and Flowers for a new Hexagon Quilt

It´s Wednesday again, and I want to show you my new project.
My friend Martha from Q is for Quilter and me both want to sew a quilt like this in a little Quilt-a-Long. I found the picture of the antique quilt here at nebraskahistory.org some time ago and fell in love with it.
I´ll do my quilt in 1930s reproduction fabrics and Martha will use vintage fabrics from this time period. Here you can see her first two beautiful stars!
Everybody is welcome to join us in sewing this beauty! :-)
Here are my first finished stars and flowers. I had some time to hand sew during the last week, because I have a bad cold and all I can do is sit on the sofa, watch TV and stitch the little hexies together.
I tried a bit of fussy cutting on this blue and pink star.
And this is my little "hospital flower" because I sewed it yesterday while I had to wait in hospital when Michael got a little hand surgery after an accident with a saw at work. The nerve of his left little finger was damaged and had to be repaired.
Thanks god he´s quite fine now and was able to come home with me yesterday afternoon.

Now I´ll go back to my blanket on the sofa. Sorry for all of you who are waiting for an answer from me, I promise to come back as soon as I´m better! But it´s quite cold here at the computer and at the moment it´s not my favorite place.

15 comments:

Saskia said...

That looks really pretty. Love the combination of flowers and stars!

Dolly Cloth said...

you havd wonderful hexagons well done

Karen said...

Hope you and Michael are both feeling better soon. The antique quilt is so, so beautiful! You are both off to a great start. LOVE the fussy cutting!

Wendy said...

I love the "hospital flower". My current flower project was not well planned so it's a pretty random mix of color. I really like the combination of light print tied to the darker solids you have in this flower. My next one will be very well planned!

RETRO-fabulous said...

What a beautiful project! The fussy cutting & the addition of the stars is fantastic.

Marianne & Marie-José said...

Prachtig, beautiful, wunderschon!!!!!!
Groetjes Marianne

katrien said...

Great your hexagonnes.

Brigitte said...

Thank you for the picture because it's just what I have been looking for.
www.quiltsampler.blogspot.com

ELP said...

Beautiful, my heart is signing looking at your quilt. Hope everyone heals quickly at your home.

Raewyn said...

This is going to be a beautiful project - you've made a great start! Beautiful fabrics.

Melody said...

What beautiful work you do. I'm really looking forward to watching your progress with this beautiful project.

Bree said...

I love how we keep finding more and more ways to do beautiful things with hexagons!

sie tut es auch said...

Hallo Steffi, bin gerade durch die weiten des www bei dir, ich glaub über umwege aus australien ;o), gelandet.
wollte dir nur mal einen kurzen gruß hierlassen.
bin ganz angetan von deinen 30er jahre stoffen/projekten. ein kistchen voll davon steht hier auch noch *g*
LG
Manuela

LuAnn said...

I love that hexagon setting and don't think I've ever seen it before. Awhile back I posted photos of hexagon blocks that my Mom left me. I could use those to put this top together. Nice to see photos from the show. I love to see how others have done their Dear Janes. The hexagon quilt you just finished is wonderful.

LynCC said...

This is an amazing quilt. (Hope you don't mind - I hopped over to your blog from Geta's.) I've been wanting to do a hexie quilt, myself. I love this pattern. Very attractive. You must love having it finished!