Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wednesday again

I had a very productive week and managed to sew five new flowers, completely with the lavender path. Now you can see how this will look when finished. I am very pleased with the results so far, I always wanted to own a GFG with a diamond path.
You can blame the productivity on the weather - it is very hot here since last week, and no end in sight. The only fairly cool room in the house is the living room, so whenever I can, I retire there with my flowers. I also started to press the flowers, only a few at a time, because the iron makes it even hotter.
When finishing the last of these five flowers, I was very excited because I thought it was the last one! But then I realised that I still need two more (and ten half flowers). So it goes on!
I learned some things from this project so far.
1. Do not wait with the pressing until you finished 60 flowers - it is very boring!
2. Don´t try to cut too many hexies at once - it only hurts your hand.
3. Sew the white background hexies to the flowers at once. When you first play with all those pretty and colorful hexies and save the boring white ones for last, it can destroy your motivation.
4. I found a way to sew the flowers a bit more quickly. Unfortunately I discovered this technique only now when I´m almost done. I´ll make a photo when sewing the next flower, and then I´ll show it to you!

Our computer still has some minor problems with the booting and with breakdowns, but at least I can blog again. Thank you all for your last week comments, and don´t be angry with me that I don´t anwer them yet. I´m back again now and try to answer you all, promise! :-)

16 comments:

Tineke said...

Looks so good! I am very anxious to hear about your new sewing method...especially if it saves time. What are you making of your hexagons?

Jackie said...

They absolutely look fabulous!! I love the lavender path too. Your list of what you learned is fantastic. I often learn similar things, but don't often take note of them. So glad you did and shared them with us!

Chartreuse Moose said...

Adorable with the diamond paths added! Looking forward to your 4th tip and photos, thanks for all hints of what to avoid! I still adore the soft colors, this quilt will be precious! Stay cool and keep stitching!

Marianne & Marie-José said...

Very nice flowers, I like the colors very much and the diamond settings.
Greetings Marianne

Sheila said...

Oh this is going to be such a pretty quilt , the colors are so soft and fresh and feminine .

Birdie said...

I really like your colours.

Martha said...

Your top is looking fabulous, Steffi. I have always been intimidated by diamond path, but you have inspired me to try one -- just not in a doll quilt. I like the idea of incorporating all the different shades of lavender -- it reminds me of variegated floss.

Cisca said...

You make wonderful big flowers, they look great! Like to see how to make them quicker!
Greetings, Cisca

Marion said...

You made some really nice flowers!!

Karen said...

Love your list! I just posted a photo of a flower garden quilt with a diamond border. Just beautiful! I so love your lavender garden!

quilting Jeannet said...

Steffi, they are wonderfull, even the background is very pretty to see!

greetings, Jenanet

Theresa said...

I love the diamond path too and am also going to do it on my own quilt - yours is looking fabulous.

martine said...

Your flowers look wonderful . Love the colours.

Crafty Robyn said...

I love the colours you have chosen. Looks very pretty.

RETRO-fabulous said...

Gorgeous lavender path and great tips for hexagon projects. Your quilt is beautiful.

La Maison Reid said...

Hello, you said you found a way to sew the flowers more quickly but I can't find that post. HELP! Please share your trick with me!
Thanks so much!
xox
Nancy